Take Out Insurance
As a groomer, it’s extremely important you take out the relevant insurances to not only protect your business but also to protect yourself.
Below we’ve given you a list of business insurances that you need to consider:
- Public liability Insurance – This is an absolute must have as you are legally required to have this insurance even if you’re based at your own home. Public liability insurance will cover you if an injury was to ever occur to an animal in your care or if the dog’s owner was to ever suffer an injury whilst in your salon or workspace.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance – This will cover you against any claims made by clients for loss or damage due to negligent advice or services.
- Content Insurance – Imagine you’ve invested every last pound into your business and someone decides to break in and steal all of your equipment. Sounds scary, right? With contents insurance your equipment will be covered if stolen and any other damage to your business, for example if a dryer was to get broken during the burglary will also be covered.
- Van Insurance – If you’re going to be a mobile groomer then it’s really important you find a suitable van insurance that will cover your vehicle. Most van insurances will not cover certain modifications that you’ll require as a groomer, so it’s important to shop around.
- Animal illness cover – This will cover you if a dog falls ill or has an accident whilst in your care.
- Accidents and injury insurance – This will help protect you against the loss of, or injury to a dog in your care. This does not include your own pets.
- Employers liability insurance – If you hire an employee, you must have this kind of insurance in case an accident or injury were to occur whilst on the job. Even if you have an unpaid volunteer helping you, you still legally have to have this insurance.
There are plenty of insurance companies to choose from in the UK market. We recommend conducting a simple search for ‘Dog groomer insurance’ or for each of the stated insurance types above. You can use insurance comparisons sites to help you compare prices and to help you get the best deal.